Total allocation: €102,1 million • Allocation to Active Citizens Fund: €8,5 million
The objective of the Active Citizens Fund in is – civil society and active citizenship strengthened, and vulnerable groups empowered.
Projects shall seek to develop the long-term sustainability and capacity of civil society, strengthening its role in promoting democratic participation, active citizenship and human rights. The fund supports projects that contribute to the following areas:
- Democracy, active citizenship, good governance and transparency;
- Human rights and equal treatment through combating any discrimination on the grounds of racial or ethnic origin, religion or belief, gender, disability, age, sexual orientation or gender identity;
- Social justice and inclusion of vulnerable groups;
- Gender equality and gender-based violence;
- Environment and climate change.
The Active Citizens Fund will focus on four programs:
- “Democracy culture”: its objective is to strengthen democratic culture and civic awareness in Latvia. The total amount available for the program is 4 405 000 euros.
- “Human rights”: its objective is to increase awareness on human rights in Latvian society. The total amount available for the program is 630 000 euros.
- “Sustainability and capacity”: its objective is to enhance the capacity and sustainability of civil society in Latvia. The total amount available for the program is 2 020 000 euros.
- “Bilateral and regional cooperation”: its objective is to enhance cross-border collaboration of civic society in Latvia wit organizations in Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and all EEA/Norway Financial Mechanism beneficiary states. The total amount available for the program is 345 000 euros.
The funding will be available through open calls and two pre-defined projects. According to individual needs, project applicants will be able to choose between various project types:
- Strategic projects with a systemic vision on their importance and long-term impact on strengthening the participation of Latvian civic society and individuals, and the empowerment of vulnerable groups.
- Capacity projects – for activities focusing on strengthening, cooperation and networking of civil society organizations, informal civic society groups, and active individuals; as well as on the development of financial sustainability of organizations.
- Action projects for implementation of current and urgent initiatives to ensure advocacy and implementation of civic activities.
- Awareness-raising campaign on democracy and the role of people in it.
Pre-defined projects will be implemented by the organizations of the NGO Consortium:
- Research paper on CSOs sector in Latvia 2020-2024. The project aims to obtain and analyze reliable data on civil society sector in Latvia, its development and necessary legal and financial improvements of the sector. The project promoter is Civic Alliance Latvia.
- Civic Competences Academy “Change Maker” – in 2021/2022, in all five regions (Kurzeme, Zemgale, Vidzeme, Latgale, Riga & Riga Region) of Latvia, the 8-months training course in civic competences will be organized. It will be available in three different courses divided by participant category and experience in civic activities: (1) new or young activists, (2) existing CSO leaders and (3) officials. The Academy will be coordinated by the Latvian Rural Forum in cooperation with Dienvidlatgale NGO Support Centre, Kurzeme NGO Centre, Civic Alliance Latvia, Valmiera Region Community Foundation and Zemgale NGO Support Centre.
The fund is operatoed by an NGO consortium formed by six experienced Latvian civil society organizations: Civic Alliance-Latvia, Latvian Rural Forum, Dienvidlatgale NGO Support Centre, Kurzeme NGO Centre, Valmiera Region Community Foundation and Zemgale NGO Centre.
Phone: +371 242 455 80
Resources and more information
Website of the Latvian Active Citizesn Fund
Further information on the EEA and Norway Grants in Latvia
Latest news and stories: Latvia
Overview of calls for projects in Latvia
Active Citizens Fund Latvia has published an overview of open and upcoming calls.
Online matchmaking event with Latvia
The Active Citizens Fund Latvia is organizing an online matchmaking event for Norwegian and Latvian organizations on the 15th of ...
ACF events across Europe!
See which event is the most interesting for you and sign up!
Continued support to civil society in Latvia
€8.5 million allocated to the Civil Society programme in Latvia. Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway have signed a new cooperation agreement ...
Avslutningskonferanse for NGO-programmet i Latvia
9. mars 2017 arrangeres avslutningskonferansen for NGO-programmet under EØS-midlene i Riga, Latvia. Programoperatøren inviterer interesserte norske organisasjoner til å delta ...
Together for children
[HUMAN RIGHTS] SOS Children’s Villages approach to the EEA and Norway Grants
One nurse, seventy children
[SOCIAL SERVICES] Improving diabetes care in Norway and Latvia
Support for EuroPride Riga 2015
18 March the Norwegian Helsinki Committee sent a letter to the Latvian Prime Minister Mrs. Laimdota Straujuma, expressing our concern ...