The overall objectives of the EEA Grants are to contribute to the reduction of economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area and to strengthen bilateral relations between the Donor States and the Beneficiary States.
The Active Citizens Fund of the EEA Grants in Bulgaria has as objective to strengthen civil society and active citizenship and empower vulnerable groups.
This call for proposals aims to support long-term projects of civil society organizations offering strategic solutions for the sustainability and capacity of the civil sector in Bulgaria, strengthening its role in promoting democratic participation, active citizenship and human rights.
Cooperation with entities from Norway is encouraged.
Duration and thematic priorities
The first call for strategic projects will support projects of civil organizations (non-profit legal entities) with duration of 12 to 36 months and a grant amount of 10,001 to 200,000 euros in six thematic priorities / outcomes. The total available indicative budget for awarding grants for strategic projects under the call is € 6,700,000.
Applicants can submit project proposals under the following six thematic priorities:
- Strengthened democratic culture and civic awareness
- Increased support for human rights
- Vulnerable groups are empowered
- CSOs actively address gender equality and gender-based violence (GBV)
- Increased civic engagement in environmental protection/climate change
- Enhanced capacity and sustainability of the civil society sector including CSOs.
Type of eligible activities
- Carrying out/participation in consultations (including public consultations and stakeholder consultations);
- Advocacy campaigns and other advocacy initiatives;
- Monitoring activities (with reference to public policies and institutions at national/central or local level, elections, public appointments, etc.);
- Preparation of analyses, reports, studies, etc., aimed at holding an informed public debate and formulating evidence-based public policies;
- Development of training materials – all kinds of online and offline applications and platforms, textbooks, manuals, manuals, guidelines for work, etc.;
- Promotion and distribution, incl. online distribution of research, analysis, reports, training materials, etc., including translation, prepress and printing;
- Provision of legal aid;
- Building of partnerships;
- Organizing and conducting trainings, seminars, conferences, etc.;
- Project management and reporting activities;
- Activities in fulfilment of the requirements of the project contract – maintenance of a bank account for the project, activities to ensure visualization and publicity of the project, audit, etc.;
- Other activities that the applicant has convincingly justified in the project proposal as necessary to achieve the project goal.
The submission of project proposals is web-based. The deadline for submitting project proposals in the first strategic call is 5.00 p.m. on 28th of January 2019 (Bulgarian time).
For more information about the call, guidelines and application templates visit the Active Citizens Fund Bulgaria.
Seed money facility
Seed money facility to encourage partnerships with entities from Norway is available under this call. The application requirements, forms and selection process are announced on the website of the Fund www.activecitizensfund.bg. Applications for seed money will be processed by the Fund Operator in the order of submission until the foreseen budget for the measure is exhausted. Deadline for submitting proposals for seed money is 23rd of Novmeber 2018.
Read more about the Active Citizens Fund in Bulgaria.